RECIPE: HEALTHY MAC AND CHEESE
Enjoy this classic comfort food without the guilt.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 small butternut squash (or 4–5 cups cubed)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese (choose your favorite)
- Parsley for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Cut the onion into thin rings and add to the butter in the pan, sautéing over low heat until fragrant and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and the seeds from the squash. Cut the flesh into small cubes. Bring the broth to a boil and add the squash. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup broth, and transfer squash to the blender. Add the onions, milk, salt, and reserved broth and puree until completely smooth and creamy. This should yield about 4 cups sauce.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked noodles and add the shredded cheese. Stir to melt the cheese; add water or milk to adjust consistency as needed. Serve with parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
- 393 calories
- 7.9 g fat
- 69.8 g carbs
- 9.3 g fiber
- 14.8 g protein
Source: modified from www.pinchofyum.com