HEALTHY APPLE MUFFINS
Make ahead for a quick breakfast full of fruit and whole grains.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup apple diced into 1/4″ cubes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add grated and chopped apple. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and maple syrup and beat together. Add the eggs and beat well, then add the yogurt, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix, just until combined (a few lumps are ok). The batter will be thick, but don’t worry!Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake muffins for 13 to 16 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Store any leftovers at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze leftover muffins for up to 3 months.
MAKES 12 SERVINGS (SERVING SIZE: 1 MUFFIN)
8 g fat
5.6 g saturated fat
27.4 g carbs
2.6 g fiber
4.5 g protein