CREATE YOUR PERSONAL ACTION PLAN
Make your goals a reality with a Personal Action Plan
With a personal action plan, you can take a step-by-step approach to achieving your goals.
Use the planning tool below to set a single, specific goal. When you reach your first goal, celebrate your success, then create an action plan for your next goal.
MAKE SPECIFIC GOALS
Here are some examples of specific goals:
- I will walk for 30 minutes 2 times next week.
- I will work out at a gym 3 times next week.
- I will increase my daily activity as part of my usual work and home routine.
TAKE SMALL STEPS TOWARD YOUR GOAL
Think of the first steps toward reaching your goal. Use simple doable ideas, such as:
- I’ll set my alarm 30 minutes earlier on Wednesday and Friday this week, so I have time for a walk.
- On Monday, I’ll get information about gyms near my home or office.
- On Tuesday and Thursday, I’ll park further away from work and stores, so I’ll walk more.
- I’ll get a pedometer and write down how many steps I take this week. Next week I’ll increase it by 10 percent.
Each day, ask yourself if you reached your goal and write it down. What worked? What didn’t? Did you encounter anything new that sidetracked your plans? If you didn’t meet your goal try not to beat yourself up, just recommit to meeting your goal tomorrow.
CHECK IN ON YOURSELF REGULARLY
Check in on yourself regularly. Ask yourself how you’re doing and if you feel your plan is easy to stick to. Keep your goals realistic, and get support from family, friends and your doctor if you feel stuck or need help.