LEMON SHRIMP PASTA WITH ORZO AND ASPARAGUS
Lighten up dinner time with this healthy pasta dish. Serves 4-6.
- 1 1/4 lb large fresh or dethawed shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place shrimp in a bowl with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan with lid over medium heat. Add onion and cook until onion is soft and translucent — about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, add orzo.
- Cook until orzo is toasted and light brown in color. Add chicken broth and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently so pasta does not stick. Cover, reduce heat, simmer, after 5 minutes, add the asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, parsley, and the seasoned shrimp. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over the top.
- Put in oven and bake uncovered, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with additional chopped parsley and garnish with lemon wedges. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- 354 calories
- 9 g fat
- 47 g carbs
- 9 g fiber
- 28 g protein
Source: modified from www.wellplated.com