CHEESY SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH
This feel-gourd recipe is gluten-free and vegetarian, with high calcium and high fiber to support a well-rounded diet. Try roasting the squash instead of cooking it in the microwave it for sweeter, more intense flavor. Serves: 4.
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 lb) spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 5-oz package baby spinach
- 1 10-oz package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground pepper
- Crushed red pepper & chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on high until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine spinach and the remaining 1 tbsp water in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Use a fork to remove squash from the shells into the bowl. Place shells on a baking sheet. Stir artichoke hearts, cream cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper into the squash mixture. Divide between squash shells and top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and basil, if desired.
Serving Size: 1 and 1/4 cups
- 223 calories
- 11g fat
- 23g carbs
- 9g fiber
- 10g protein
Source: modified from Eating Well at eatingwell.com