CARROT GINGERBREAD COOKIES
Sweet, spicy and a little bit healthy — these will become your go-to holiday cookie. Yield: 14 cookies
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/3 cup unsalted almond butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour*
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or grease lightly with oil.
- Pat grated carrot dry to remove excess moisture.
- Mix: carrot, almond butter, applesauce, molasses, sugar, egg, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add flour and oats then mix until just combined.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter per cookie onto your prepared pan. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely then drizzle on icing, if using.
- Mix powdered sugar, maple syrup, and 1 tsp of milk in a bowl. If your icing is too thick, add a little more milk and mix again. Use right away.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
- 108 calories
- 4 g fat
- 17 g carbs
- 2 g fiber
- 3 g protein
Source: modified from www.thenaturalnurter.com.